Will they ever assimilate?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newbiechicken, Apr 19, 2009.

1. newbiechicken

newbiechicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    Nebraska
    I had one rooster and four 2.5 year old hens. This week I added four hens, after a quarantine period and after a period of them being next to each other in different pens. I have a coop with attached run. I have had them in the coop/run together for four days. They are all shut into the coop together at night. The coop has plenty of room for all of them. They are still very much segregated. The hens we had roost on one side with the rooster and the new ones roost on the other side of the coop at night. During the day, there are occasional squabbles, but for the most part they stay away from each other - one set in the coop and the other in the run and then vice versa.

Does this just take time? Will they ever form one flock? I feel bad not letting my older hens and rooster not free range as they are used to doing, but I can't until they are all assimilated into one flock. Thank you for your input.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I have heard that sometimes they won't ever integrate.. Our old chickens would usaully get along after a few months they seemed to forget they did'nt like eachother... They are some silly things,,,

3. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

It took mine about six weeks to fully integrate last year, and they had been within sight of each other for months before I put them together. Like yours, there were no major squabbles.
    My other flock would accept new ones w/o any problems at all.
    I wouldn't worry about them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by