will they ever be "organic"?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rosiekitty94, Aug 11, 2013.

1. they eat organic feed

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. they free range but have optional commercial feed

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. they free range and have organic feed

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. they do not free range nor eat organic feed

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. they were started on commercial feed but have switched to organic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I have thought about going organic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rosiekitty94

rosiekitty94 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    Maryland
    When my chicks were young, I started them on medicated feed, then went to commercial chick starter/grower feed. They are now almost 9 weeks old and enjoying multi-flock feed. When they are larger and older I want to free range them. I would also like them to be organic and I am regretting not starting them this way in the first place. If at some point I switch them over to organic feed once they start free ranging, would I be allowed to say that they are organic? I would wait several weeks after the switch before dubbing them so in order for them to "detox" so to speak. Thoughts?

2. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    I don't know what is in the medicated feed and I don't know who it goes through the system. But If you truely want to feed organic than just do it it's what I do. I don't free range necessarily I use a tractor. I live in the city and I'm the only person the police watch LOL I'm going to invest in a net so that I can say they are not free ranging! I'm sure once they are on the feed for a month and everything is running through their system they are truly organic. Good luck with everything.

3. taylynnp

taylynnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    You can't really call them organic for market purposes as they and your farm would have to be be inspected and then certified organic. That's a very vigorous and costly process.

I voted that I feed organic but I voted incorrectly. I feed organic (no soy or corn) and free range as well.

I can say that I feed them organic feed and they are naturally raised and free ranged. But I don't call them organic. ;)

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Organic is a legal term that has a very specific meaning. Your birds will never be considered organic even if you switch them to an organic feed now.

You would need to do a lot of research and planning if you want to legally call your birds organic and especially if you want to sell them as organic (birds or eggs) -- to sell anything as organic you need to be legally certified and inspected.

In order to be called organic at any point they need to be feed a completely organic diet from I believe day 2 or 3? I would look this up but it is basically from the very beginning of their life. If at any point you give a bird antibiotics for any reason they are no longer organic. Also if they are free range you would need to insure that EVERYTHING they eat in your yard is also organic and that your farm land is certified organic.No pesticides EVER on anything. No GMOs. Everything has to be extremely controlled.

I would be very careful using that term unless you are certain that your birds/eggs meet all the requirements.

This is a decent place to start reading but I would look into all of your state laws.

http://www.organic.org/home/faq

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  5. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Are you looking for an organic lifestyle? Or looking for as everyone mentioned certified organic? And yes no pesticides I forgot to mention that. I'm not sure of your situation but you may want some Guineas and ducks (not many) for further pest control.

Thanks everyone for all the great info and good luck.

6. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    Neither your birds nor their eggs will ever be organic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by