***Will they ever dry???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lov'emSouthernEggs, May 7, 2009.

1. Lov'emSouthernEggs

Lov'emSouthernEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    East Carolina
    My goodness! I didn't realize it takes them so long to dry. Doesn't help that it is Monsooning outside. Everything is wet everywhere!

How long does it take to dry. I guess they're not that old yet. Chick 1 will be 24 hours old at 10:30ish. The others won't be there until 4 ish.

Though I feel more at ease with them in the incubator. They're so tiny! The brooder will make them look smaller.

Because there are only three...should I put a stufted animal in there with them...give them something to cuddle with?

When will they be old enough to go in with the flock. My hens aren't very nice to eachother. Not really looking forward to introductions! Six weeks or so? Is that right?

And the worrying continues![​IMG] [​IMG]

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    How many more do you have to hatch? What is your humidity in there? IF they dry kind of depends on the humidity. At anything over 80 chicks sometimes won't dry.

I had to boost humidity for a batch with bad huge aircells and the chicks first born just couldn't dry, I had to make a small foam "hatcher" without humidity in order to get them dried off.

While it's not a great idea to open a bator while others are hatching if a chick isn't dry at 24 hours the humidity will likely tolerate opening to snatch the wee wet ones.

Hope all is well.

3. Lov'emSouthernEggs

Lov'emSouthernEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    East Carolina
    Thank you. There is one egg left and I doubt it will hatch. DH wants to keep it in there incase it's a late bloomer. I'm not very hopeful. So it's just the three chicks in there. The humidity is high. We have had alot of rain and storms. Will see what my other options are.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by