Will they ever get along????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wild Chicken, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Wild Chicken

Wild Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    West Michigan
    We just added a new Roo to the mix to be used for breeding and the resident roo is not happy. They are both very sweet, and I don't want to have to get rid of one of them.

Will they ever get along without sparring? [​IMG] We are attached to both of them.

We have 9 hens and they are part time free rangers.

Thanks for the help!!!

Amy

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Some very chicken-smart people will tell you there is no other way other than letting them duke it out til they develop there pecking order. One of them will turn out to be the alpha and the other will be submissive. They may always have "beef" with eachother but they will tolerate eachother.

They need to have their own hens. They are currently fighting over them. I would separate them where they can see eachother. Put the hens with the roo you wish and kinda keep an eye on them over the next week. Let them alternate in the run/free-range whatever. Then, once their flock is established things should settle. good luck

3. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    I bought a young hen 6 weeks ago and another 2 weeks ago. My old hen hates both of them and chases them whenever I let them together. The young ones fly about and are in danger of hurting themselves. I leave them with mesh fencing between them so that they can see each other and interact through the fence, but things have not improved much. I think that as the young ones get older and stronger and the old one gets older and slower perhaps one day I might be able to let them together without supervision.
    It can be just as difficult with females as males in my short experience. Hope you have a better result.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by