1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will they ever lay again HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ameraucanacrazy, Oct 11, 2009.

1. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    i have just learned that it is bad to feed ducks only cracked corn well for their whole life wich is about 2 years

i have feed them cracked corn

and they have layed before about 1 year ago

and i saw 5 eggs but after that no more eggs

will they ever lay again

please help

now i am feeding them layer pellets and waterfowl feed

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. the Old Rebel

the Old Rebel Rest in Peace -2011

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    Do your ducks free range at all? What kind of ducks are they? If they free range, are you sure you would have found all their nests?? My girls hide their eggs everywhere.

We have muscovies. We feed them chick starter and grower just like for chicken chicks. That is what the lady at our feed mill said to do. We also feed them scratch, which is cracked corn and wheat. That is like a treat for them. Ours free range all day. They go back to their pen on their own at night and we close them up to protect them from predators. They lay like crazy.

I am not an expert, but it is my gut feeling that if you get the protein levels up and give them some greens, they'll start to lay again next year. Depending on the breed, some ducks stop laying about now. Like my muscovies. They are winding down, and will start again next Spring.

I'll be watching this thread to see what others have to say. But don't worry too much. It'll be ok, I'm sure.

3. ameraucanacrazy

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    they do not free range because the peoplethat live next to use haver dogs and they will get the ducks and the breed is runners

and i give them grass every now and then

4. the Old Rebel

the Old Rebel Rest in Peace -2011

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    I don't know anything about Runner ducks, but you've GOT to get their protein levels up. Do they have a place to swim?? Could you put feeder fish in there for them??

I'll try to find out who knows about Runner ducks and get them to post on here too.

Can you get some chick starter and grower? You can also use a good quality high protein dog food. I have a duck that actually comes in my house to get the dog's food.

All is not lost, but I'm glad you got on here. I'll be interested to see what others who know more than I do have to say.

Good Luck!!

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Yay! You were able to get them the right feed! That's a great start. If you're able, maybe you can leave out oyster shells for them to eat at will for the extra calcium.

I've read before that with a radical change of diet, ducks can get all out of whack, so I would give them some time to grow accustomed to their new diet.

I can't answer your question on whether they will ever lay again. Two years is a long time and I don't know what the health effects are for that sort of malnourishment, and I was unable to find anything through google with the search criteria I used (duck malnourishment - duck health problems - duck not laying egg - malnourishment in ducks)

You may want to try other things to help them be happy. Do they have any water to swim in? If not you can use a small container like a kitty litter pan to let them splash around occasionally. You can feed them hard boiled eggs and lettuce. Ducks love peas! If they follow you around, maybe you can take them for walks around your yard... that will help them get some exercise.

I'm really glad you found us here at BYC, and hope you stick around and keep us updated on your ducks.

[​IMG]

Donna

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  6. ameraucanacrazy

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    they hate people and i have a small cattle water for them to swim in and thank yall very much for hepling me i will keep yall posted

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hello! I'm so pleased that you've gotten them the layer pellets, and I sure hope they turn around and start laying for you before long. Ducks are pretty hardy, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Regardless, you should be proud of yourself for seeking the help you needed and doing what you need to take care of your duckies. [​IMG]

Good luck!

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Well bringing them treats regularly will go a long ways to making them like to see you coming. It may take a while, but after a while they will see you and be like OMG the treat person is coming. Peas, and lettuce are favorites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by