Will they ever lay an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aprilfritts, Oct 5, 2011.

1. aprilfritts

aprilfritts New Egg

Apr 27, 2011
    We have 6 bantams that are now just under 6 months old and not a single egg yet. It's been really wet and we've had a cold snap (the weather is supposed to break this weekend). At what point will they give us an egg??? It's our first flock, so we are pretty anxious. [​IMG]

2. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    First of all [​IMG]
    They should be laying anytime soon. Just have to be patient.

3. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    Yes, they will lay and it will be a wonderful and glorious day when they do and the first egg will be the most beautiful and perfect egg that you have ever seen.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you feeding them well, an 17% or 18% protein feed, and fresh water and they are getting 14+ hours of daylight each day, they will lay when their bodies tell them to and not a moment earlier.

5. Mimi and the Peeps

Mimi and the Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Fort Gratiot
    I know your anticipation! My 13 hens of different breeds are also just under 6 months. My BO seems to be making a lot of noise lately, so I'm hoping for the first eggs soon. I can't wait, and will have my camera ready!
    What is strange though, my niece lives next door and has 6 hens that started laying at 3 and a half months. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself, I saw them at 3 days old, at Easter, and they were laying by July. Has anyone else heard of laying this early?

6. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Quote:I sure haven't, but what are they?

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The commercial hybrids, bred for the egg industry, but also sold at feed stores and from hatcheries, will often begin laying at 17 weeks. In white egg layers, these are the Leghorns and in brown, these are the RSLs which get sold under names like Golden Comets, Cinnamon Queen, Red Stars, etc. The ISA Brown, a specialized, commercial hybrid, will almost alway lay at 17+ weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by