Will they ever lay? (pics)

SF Chick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
San Francisco
I have four 24-25 week old chickens who have never laid an egg -- 1 barred rock, 1 black australorp, 1 gold-laced wyandotte and 1 buff orpington. I switched them to layer feed about 4 weeks ago, I give them veggie and sunflower seed treats, and they free range about an hour a day when I can supervise (hawk country). They have a nest box with a dirt-filled plastic egg in it. They all seem healthy and happy, and I love them, but we want eggs! Here are their pictures: do any of them look at all ready?
34593_img_1991.jpg

Omelette
34593_img_1994.jpg

Sunny
34593_img_1998.jpg

Cleo
34593_img_1992.jpg

Layla
34593_img_2014.jpg

Sunbathing beauties

My wellie laid her first egg yesterday she was hatched april 8. By looking at their combs Id say a couple of weeks or so. I think the br will lay later than the other 3. Make sure they got some grit and some oyster shells. I think that hens that lay later in life has a longer egg laying life.

Looking at the pics they're still on the young side, probably won't begin to lay regularly for another month at least. They look very healthy and happy.
smile.png

Don't worry, they will lay when they are ready. You can try to force them with light, but they'll pay for it later if you do.

Quote:
That's about when my slowpokes were born.

Catfish/okie, they do get grit and oyster shell.

Thanks for the responses. Does it make sense that ALL of them are late layers?

Beautiful birds! My BA was 23.5 weeks old when she first laid an egg. Her comb was a lot taller than your BA, though. So maybe a few more weeks to go?

Are they squatting yet? Mine started squatting a couple weeks before the first egg. Also, I agree with JanieMarie that giving them more protein than just what's in the layer feed is a big nutritional plus - since they are still growing and developing their internal organs for egg laying.

I have an australorp hatched April 22 that hasn't laid yet. She was attacked by a dog and survived and my husband thinks the trauma from that slowed her up. I did catch my silkie roo getting frisky with her so I have hopes that it should happen soon.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom