1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will they ever mix?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rafa, May 14, 2011.

1. Rafa

Rafa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Nottingham, England
    Hi, I have just purchased five lovely new ladies, three brown lohmans who have just started laying, one bluebell and one maran about 21 weeks but not yet laying. My flock was getting a little small due to age and I only had two brown ones and a rooster left. The two browns ones are old and have not layed for about a year so were kept as pets but Rocky is only a year and a half old and was looking a little bored, so I decided to introduce some new young ladies to him, and as you can imagine he is very happy.

The problem I have is that the three lohmans have mixed really well and seem happy and content, they are out free ranging in the garden and eating and drinking their layers pellets. But the bluebell and maran just sit perched up on top of the duck house which is inside the run and wont come down to eat or drink. They sit huddled together and the others go up and pick on them. Also the bluebell is plucking at the other and eating her feathers.

My question is are they quiet, docile breeds and do you think they will ever mix with the rest of the flock? I am worried they are not eating and drinking enough, so I keep putting food up for them. I dont know if this is right or wrong as I thought if I didnt they would eventually come down for food and water but they wont.

Not sure what to do, so any advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Did you try to get the new ones used to the coop before you let them free range? It could be that they just havn't figured out where home is, so are sitting up as high and "safe" as possible. I would catch these two and isolate/lock them in the coop for a week. If the one/s being pecked are bleeding, you need to isolate them/combo with Blu-Kote. The other chickens will literally eat it to death if you don't treat it.

When it comes to mixing, I've noticed mine do it based on age and temperment.

3. Rafa

Rafa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Nottingham, England
    Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes I kept them in the coop and run before I let them free range. The brown ones are in and out all day with the old ladies, the gate to the run is left open and they can come and go as they please, but the bluebell and maran will still not move. I think it may be a good ideas to isolate them, but the only place I have is the duck house so will have to make some sort of door for the night. The maran is not bleeding from what I can see, but will keep a close eye on her.

4. Rafa

Rafa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Nottingham, England
    Morning all, just a quick update to my original thread. My three new pol lohmans (Stevie, Shaun and Hyacinth) are mixing quite well with old ladies and Rocky, they all go out free ranging together the new ones keep together and are quite happy and Rocky sticks with the old original ladies. He will wonder over to the newbies every so often but tends to stay with the oldies. Is this normal rooster behaviour?

The two other newbies (Ginger and Eddie) still keep up high and safe away from the others as much as they can, and dont go out free ranging with the others, which gives them chance to come down to eat, drink and scratch around. However, I have been keeping a close eye on them and noticed that Rocky is absolutely horrible to them, attacking them for no reason as if he is on a mission to really hurt them. I have read a few postings on BYC which mention that that a rooster will not be interested in hens that are not laying, as the are not going to produce him any off-spring and that he will be defending the rest of the flock for the food and water. This all makes sence and just wondered when they do come into lay will Rocky start acting differently with them?

I feel so sorry for the little ladies and wondered how long this intergration problem would last and what I can do to bring a little karma into the flock.

Many thanks

5. smk2010

smk2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    My chickens took a good 6-8 months after introducing them before they started really mingling and not going off by themselves. My rooster hung out with the older chickens until my pullets started laying eggs regularly. I'd say give them a little more time. If one is getting picked on until blood is drawn I'd separate it for a couple of weeks and let it heal and mature a little more if you can. Good Luck!

6. Rafa

Rafa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Nottingham, England
    Thankyou for that I hope it does'nt take that long but if it does then so be it. They are beautiful girls and I just want them to be happy, Rocky is a wonderful chap to the others and hopefully will be with them when they start laying, fingers crossed

7. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Are you positive the're females? Post a picture and we'll let you know!

8. Rafa

Rafa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Nottingham, England
    Hi heres pictures i posted under gender and breed, please tell me they are hens, we have been having our doubts because of Rocky's nastiness!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by