Will they ever start laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hitman8D, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Hitman8D

Hitman8D New Egg

Nov 21, 2011
    I know that this question has been asked a million and one times. But, I am getting a little worried.

I am a new back yard chicken owner. I live in a very warm Houston, Texas (a little north outside of the the city limits).

I bought five chickens on April 17, 2011. I got them a country feed store. We got 2 Ameraucanas, 2 Australorps, and a Barred Rock. All were very small and fluffy. We kept them all inside with a heating lamp. I built a chicken coop with run. The coop is 6'x8' with a perch, 4 nesting boxes, water and feed. The run is 16'x8'.

We fed them medicated starter food for 4 months. We've been feeding them layer feed now for over two months. We also give them yogurt, scratch, bird seed, plus other snacks. I also throw out a cup of oyster shell every week or two.

We had one Ameraucana get sick and die when it was 3 months old. The other 4 birds have shown no signs of illness. They are active. They eat well. They are friendly (especially the Ameraucana, she loves to perch on our arm when we enter the coop or run). They appear like very healthy birds.

Our summer was very hot. I kept them well watered and the coop/run is very shaded.

So, we've had the birds for 31 weeks. My most conservative guess is that the birds would be 32 weeks old. None of the birds have laid and egg.

Should I do something else?

Am I missing something?

Should I be worried?

Am I just being a worry-wart?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    no, no, no, yes, in that order! [​IMG]

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    You are being a worry wart. They will lay when they get ready and not a minute before. I'm in Houston too. And have been waiting 50 forevers for one of my pullets to lay and she finally did yesterday. She was hatched in March. Don't give up on those girls, they'll come through. Personally I think the severe summer we had here affected them.

4. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    It seems to take forever, but it will happen [​IMG]

5. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2~~ the first egg is like the watched pot. [​IMG] Hang in there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by