Will they ever start laying!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AdamD77, Dec 7, 2010.

1. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    So my 4 runner girls were hatched some time in April this year, making them 7-8 months old now and they still haven't started laying yet! I would have thought at least one of them would have started by now...?

I'm assuming the odds of having 4 girls who don't lay is extremely miniscule and am sure they will start soon, possibly in a month or two when there's more light, but it's a bit annoying now as me and my mum have been checking for eggs for 2 or 3 months now with no result... My dad is starting to get impatient too, since one of the reasons he agreed to getting 4 girls on top of the 2 boys we'd already had for a year was for the eggs!

What's the latest you have experienced a duck starting to lay and what do you make of my current situation?

2. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Well our 2 ducks hatched July 20th and our Golden 300 started at about 17 1/2 weeks (incredibly early) and hasn't stopped since but the Black Swede still has not started.

I suggest adding additional light to their sleeping area. Ducks need 14-17 hours of light a day to lay eggs. I have a lightbulb that goes on 3 hours before sunrise every morning and turns off when the sun starts to come up (its on a timer). Without the additional light they may not lay until Spring.

Edited to fix errors

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  3. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Treldib is right ducks and chickens need light in order for them to start laying eggs, a light to complete 17 hours of light should help.
    But perhaps if you live in a really cold climate that might affect them too.
    BTW I have some Rouens and they started laying at exactly 5 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by