Will they ever stop fighting?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jayjay, Mar 29, 2012.

1. jayjay

jayjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Hi,

I had 3 Speckled Maran to start with and then got 3 Sussex one black 2 white. I did everything i was told to do by introducing them at night etc. However, the Maran were attacking the new chickens so much that i separated them and they now now their own home and are very happy. I have a small area of land where they are kept and let them out to scratch and forrage. I though that this would be common ground that none of the chickens had been on and that they may learn to mix.

This is not the case. The Maran continue to attack the Sussex. Is this normal or am i doing something wrong? Any ideas?

Thanks

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

keep them near each other and let then see each other but not touch- are they close to the same size?

When they ignore each other move the nicest one form the bully pen into the newbie pen-

If that works keep moving others over waiting a couple hours each time.

Soon they should all be with the newbies.

Anyone not getting along, goes by themselves for some time.

OR

Stick them all at night and only remove the bully if ther is blood

Search "introducing chickens" on this website

3. jayjay

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Yes they are near each other and can see each other. The new ones are younger, they have only just started laying so that could also be a reason. The bullies are really nasty to them and when together the newbies are hiding in corners trying to get away.

I will try your method,, bit like dealing with the naughty teenagers in my classes haha.

Thanks for the help, i will let you know how it goes.

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Ok, good luck.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So happy to have you aboard. Good luck. Sometimes it's hard dealing with a bully when all you want to do is :smack

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

Looks like you got good advice already!

9. jayjay

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Have more time tomorrow so i am going to give it a go. Here's hoping they sort themselves out.

10. jayjay

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Ok so that didn't work out as i planned. Let them out but Maran just attacked. All 3 of them. I separated who i thought was the ring leader but when she was back in the pen the others carried on. As soon as the newbies got near they started. Ended up putting all Maran away and leaving the newbies out.

Had to laugh though the Bullies did not look too impressed as they watched the newbies having a great time in the grass. Will try again tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by