Will They Fight???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WalkerH, Jun 13, 2011.

1. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

So on a whim we got two ducklings, when we went to get chicks. Well they are eight weeks now and from what I read they are both boys. We don't have any girl ducks, but do have hens. I have heard that they will possibly try to mate with them, so they will be separated from the chickens. Will they fight with each other without any females? I don't have any want to kill and process them, not a big fan of duck. So I figured I'll just keep them as yard pets. But I don't want them fighting with each other and having to separate them. Do you think it will be fine?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Ducks..or should I say drakes dont fight like roosters can. A rooster will at times fight to the death - ducks dont tend to be so vicious. Having the rounded beak they arent able to do the same kind of damage a rooster can to another but a drake can still cause a nasty injury. Their hormones will not have started to effect their behavior yet- so it will be important to continue to watch their behavior towards each other once they get beyond 12 weeks of age- and then also every time spring roles around.

I know of a few people that do keep drakes only in relative harmony. Being raised together you may find your boys will get along fine and can live together - however having them in with the chickens is an entirely different matter. Drakes trying to mate with hens can cause them internal damage due the the difference in anatomy and the way that the act is performed. It could be the case that your drakes never take an interest in your hens- but it is good to read that you already plan to house them separately.

3. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

So I'll just be vigilant for now I suppose. Hopefully I don't have to separate them. But suppose if it comes to it it will happen. Thank you for the response.

4. GosfieldAcres

GosfieldAcres Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Canada
    We had 2 drakes (got them at 9 months) and after a few weeks they started fighting constantly, with one in particular bullying the other. We would take one out and put it in the dog cage for awhile to give it a break. About this time we ended up getting a third drake and 2 ducks and added them to the mix, a little nervous about the fighting. The new drake has never fought either of the others. We kept splitting them up, putting them in the dog cage overnight, trying to decided if one of them would have to become soup. Anyway, one day we put them all together again, the duck that had always been the underdog pecked the crap out of the bully (he was bleeding!) and they never fought again. Now they all get along and help each other mount the ducks. Weird. I think they were just teenagers for a few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by