Will they fit? Guesses, please!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by StarLover21, Oct 20, 2011.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Hi,

I have three seven (?) maybe a little older Black Star chicks. My question is, do you think they can fit through a chainlink fence like the picture below? They seem really broad compared to my 18 week Leghorn. Any guesses? They would have supervison and are pretty easy to catch, and the lot isn't to big (a normal sized backyard).
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Could you put hardware cloth (or even chicken wire if that's more economically feasible for you) around the bottom 2' of the fence? That would serve two purposes - to keep your chickens from squeezing through to get out, and a raccoon, possum or even a cat from reaching in to grab and pull chicken parts through the fence.

3. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Yes, they will be able to fit through that fence. I have the same fencing around my brooding coop and had to line it bird cloth for this season but will put smaller gauge wire around for next years chicks. They are busy and want to explore but they don't go far from the fnece, especially with mama nearby- if they can get out, they can get back in as well- and quickly.

4. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    I agree with bobbi. I think you should put some sort of inexpensive (plastic?) wire on the bottom. Some chickens are good kiddies and won't go out of the fence (just because they are too lazy to).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by