Will they fly away?

bluemoonluck

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
I'm thinking about adding some khaki cambell ducks to my small flock of laying chickens (all hens, no roosters). My chickens free-range and have a barn to go into to get out of bad weather. The pasture is surrounded by 4-6 foot high fencing, and I've NEVER had a chicken fly out of my yard.

But I also live about a mile from the local fresh-water lake. And my pasture (where the ducks would also free-range with my chickens) doesn't have any kind of netting/etc over the top of it - its way too big for that. And I have neighbors on either side of me who have gardens, and I have to be able to keep my livestock contained (so far, so good!).

So now that you've got the background, here's my question: Would these egg-laying ducks fly over my fencing to leave the yard? Especially if there are flocks of wild ducks nearby on the local lake?

I'd like to free-range my ducks, because that would be much easier then penning them and having to clean another structure. But if they're going to be flying all over the place, then I'll have to give up on the idea of having ducks for now.

I didnt think khakis could fly...
hu.gif

ok i guess they can...but i found this post on another forum

"Well, yes, but I would qualify that a bit. They probably won't be capable of sustained flight like a mallard, Call or Muscovy would, but they will be able to clear most fences, especially when stressed, with a strong wind, or when young. When they're older, heavier and used to their accomidations, they probably won't be doing any flying except in severe or unusual circumstances, in general."

So if you raise your ducks and dont give them a reason to fly away maybe you wont have a problem...plus there is always clipping the wings so they cant fly.

Last edited:
Sounds like my chickens....technically, they can fly, but they never leave the yard. My chickens roost high up in the barn, much higher than my fence, but are content to stay in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom