Will they get along?

MillersFarm

Easily distracted by Chickens
5 Years
Jun 3, 2016
Lewiston NY
I have two broody hens (light brahmas) in the same a small coop i have that i like to call a little nursery and i was curious that if the two would get along if they both hatch there clutches of eggs and this is my first time hatching eggs with hens and would like to know how they would react to each other and if one will take over the other's clutch of eggs

Welcome! It's safer to have them separate, so disasters don't happen. Some broody hens will be fine together, and others will be awful, to the chicks, and each other. If you risk it, at least try to be ready to intervene, and be prepared for losses. Mary

Thanks for the info! i'll try and put one of the hens into a dog
crate and move her into a shed

Last edited:
Don't try to move her during the day!!! Set up the big dog crate during the day, and move her in the dark with as little light and fussing as possible. Usually broodies won't abandon eggs when it's done that way, but sometimes it doesn't go well. You could move eggs onedr one hen, if that's a better choice. Mary

Welcome to BYC!

How long have they been setting on fertile eggs?

There are many ways to manage broody hens.
Depends on your goals and housing availability.
Do you have room for a bunch more chickens?
Plans on what to do with the approx 50% makes that may hatch?

I separated mine but only with some wire fencing so the flock could still see her and she them.

Lots of options here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread

both of their clutches about two weeks in
and tge coop there in right now is 5x10 ft. and a nice lot of fenced in ground outside of the coop
the two seem not to be too annoyed by there appearances but to be safe i might just separate them

Last edited:
both of their clutches about two weeks in
and tge coop there in right now is 5x10 ft. and a nice lot of fenced in ground outside of the coop
the two seem not to be too annoyed by there appearances but to be safe i might just separate them
Or you might wait it out, but be ready to move.
Are just the two setters in that coop or are there other birds in there too?
Can you just split the coop with fencing?
Any plans to integrate them with the rest of your flock...I assume you have other chickens nearby?

Theres one rooster and 3 other hens with them but that's temporary i plan on moving the 4 back into the main flock and leave the two broodies in the coop there in right now and once the chicks are about 12-13 weeks old i'll introduce them to the main flock

Theres one rooster and 3 other hens with them but that's temporary i plan on moving the 4 back into the main flock and leave the two broodies in the coop there in right now and once the chicks are about 12-13 weeks old i'll introduce them to the main flock
Why not let the mama's integrate the chicks into the flock?....way, way easier that way.
I'd keep the mamas together, then spend the first week getting them to co-exist, then let them all in with the flock.
But not sure what kind of housing you have...I assume 2 coops, hopefully one of those coops is big enough for all the newcomers.

Yes, i have two coops the main one can carry 40 chickens at the most and has currently 26 in it,
and I've never thought of letting the mama hen introduce them to the flock, i'll try it Thanks for the great info! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom