will they get along

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tgblldog70, Oct 3, 2011.

1. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    we have a run that is 52ft long x 25 ft wide all fenced the coop was expanded with 4 nesting boxes , the coop is 6ft long x 4ft wide, we have 4 hens and a rooster, now the question is there is an ad on craigs list for 9 hens for free!!!! now do i have enuff room for a few more hens????

We only want to get maybe 5 chickens, My question really is is the coop going to house the extra comfortably. I made the 2nd level with a nice large area that is more of an open floor plan I could fit another two nesting boxes if needed. I am a little concerned with the hens getting along. Is there a waiting period that needs to be followed? also we only have 1 rooster do we need another? TIA

Todd

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    If you're in an area that doesn't get very cold, likely 5 more is ok but it will be crowded. Reason I say that, in colder weather they need to spend more time in the coop and need more room. When it's above say, 40, they tend to just be in the run. No, you won't need another rooster.

3. DebbieDee

DebbieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Boise
    From what I read and what I have experienced it is a little tough integrating new hens with established hens. However mine were babies so they were and still are a little bullied.I would worry if they might get the established girls sick. I hear it's best to keep them separate until you know they are not sick then do it and I read that roost time would be good so the older girls are more relaxed....Help me here folks what do you all think?[​IMG]

4. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    You only have 24 sq ft of space in your coop. Are your nest boxes internal (take up some of that room) or external? Are the birds you have and the birds you want all standard size?

Conventional wisdom is around 4 ft per bird for standards. So your coop would be full now. If they are bantam, you can have more. How much roosting space do you have?

Your run is plenty of space for more birds, it's just your coop that would be crowded.

Deb

5. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    thanks for the input,the nesting is two internal and two external and the roosting bar is 4ft long and only 1 hen and the rooster use it the other gals all stay on the second floor between the two internal nesting boxes, The chickens in question are standard size layers:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by