will they get bigger?

koda55533

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
I live in wisconsin so our winters are pretty cold. I purchased some chicks in mid october and they have only recently been going outside since late february. because they have spent most of thier time in the coop while they were supposed to be growing, i was wondering if they will grow more because they will start getting more sunlight as the spring warms up. I'm pretty sure they are supposed to get larger than what they are right now but i was wondering if they will finish growing. has anyone ever raised chicks in the winter so that they haven't been out of the coop because of cold weather? any adivice will really help. thanks!

Being in a coop would not stunt their growth. Poor nutrition, not enough nutrition, those things stunt their growth. AS long as they are being fed age appropriate ration and in a proper quantity, they will grow - inside or out.

Frankly, they are about done growing, or are supposed to be. Did you get any hens? If so, are they laying?

I got these girls in mid September and grew them out over the winter. I do not heat the barn or coop. They began laying in late January, and by mid-February, were in full, blown lay. These hens are now gorgeous, full sized production red laying machines. Happy and healthy.

69833_dscf2648.jpg

69833_dscf3004.jpg

i have some Ameraucanas that seem to be kinda petite compared to the others. what is thier average size. They have had good nutritious (sp?) food for their whole lives.

oh and i did get hens but they have not started laying. other than the Ameraucanas i also got buff orfingtons and some barred plymoths ... should they have been laying by now?

i don't think they are bantum, they were from ideal image if that helps. oh and how can i figure out who is laying and who isn't? I have three older hens that have been laying large brown eggs for a while before i got the newest chickens, how do i know if it is them or the older chickens? i have only gotten a max of three eggs per day.

If you have bantam sized of those breeds, then yes, they will be smaller. All three come in a bantam variety.

oops i meant ideal poultry not ideal IMAGE lol... and i just checked, i did not order them as batnams

I do have a bantam hen and the Ameraucanas are a little bigger than she is but not by much, is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom