1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will they get use to it?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mogli, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

im thinkin about buying a heated dog water bowl for the chickens cuz the metal waterer i have is usesless in the cold the water freezes and inside the water is slushy and the llid freezes on the waterer and i cant get it off its a PAIN in the.... u know the rest lol. but if i hook up a heated dog bowl in the coop will they figure it out and realize that its a water source for them any info would be nice

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    That's an awsome idea [​IMG] They'll know it's their water, and should have no problem with drinking it. [​IMG]

3. Mogli

thanks christien my names mitch i have 1 dog 1 cat and 5 chickens plus i work on a dairy farm with baby calves

4. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Aw that's awsome [​IMG] But my name is actually Becca. I AM a christian. I guess I should fix that [​IMG] sorry! I want baby calves... [​IMG]

5. Mogli

im a christain too for real im 21 i live in pennsyvania i work 2 jobs love my chickens even though it can be a pain at times hahaha

6. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    [​IMG] I know what you mean! My 10 lil chickens are a chore to take care of every day. . . well ofcoarse once you put everything else I have to do a day into that. [​IMG] But, they're fun. And totally worth it! [​IMG]

7. Mogli

yeah lol this is my 1st year with chickens i do it for a fun hobby and i have a little egg sale busniess too i get 2$ per dozen ive had my chickens since june this year now its december 2nd and winter time is my 1st rough day withem the dumb metel water dumb waterer

8. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    [​IMG] Haha! I always use plastic jugs. So much less of a pain, cause they don't freeze as fast [​IMG] this morning alll of the metal waterers had ice, but the plastic ones didn't have hardly any! [​IMG]

9. Mogli

like a milk jug with the top cut off? iwouldve thought plastic ones would freeze too

10. Mogli

becca can i send u some private messages about our chickens more we could talk about chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by