will they grow out of this?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by showjumper_girl2002, Oct 7, 2011.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    i have 2 scovy's that are a little over 2 months that i've had since the day they hatched. these are my first ducks so i'm new to their personalities [​IMG] they've been with me all the time since they hatched and are very cuddly and lovy and still fallow me around. however, if i approach them standing up they don't want me to touch them but as soon as i sit down they come running and love on me and even sit and nap in my lap [​IMG] they love being cuddled and do that vibrating happy thing in my lap and sitting next to me as they attempt to preen me [​IMG] so obviously they aren't afraid of me and enjoy attention. i'm just wondering if they will grow out of being afraid of me approaching them standing up as they get older?

here they are...gizmo(the hen) is my lap duck and always hops right in my lap and loves on me. waddles is less skidish when i approach standing up and he also loves being loved on. sorry it's sideways i took it on my phone and it came out that way lol

[​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't know if they grow out of it much, my ducks seem to run away when I bend down unless I have food, but seem content on the lap.

3. AngelV

AngelV Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2011
    Pinellas Park Fl
    Hey there Awesome Scovy's [​IMG]

I have 2 ducks 7mths old.. they do the same thing.. Maybe when we stand and walk towards them, more of a dominating thing.

4. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Quote:thanks! [​IMG]

5. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    It may also be a predator fear. My chickens and ducks are always watching the sky for large birds, ie hawks. They may see you as a predator approaching from above.

6. the duck whisperer

the duck whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Ohio
    I don't think that is something they will grow out of, mine followed me around when they were young but when i introduced them to the flock they get nervous around people but would still allow me to hold them.

7. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Muscovy ducks are like dogs. Even if you get a pretty wild one they calm down fast. Unlike other ducks in so many ways.. their love for people is just one more thing that makes them special. I have sevral Muscovy and even the ones I got as adults and were afraid now eat out of my hands, my ducklings that were raised by the mothers, also are very loving like yours are. I would say they will never out grow it. Mine never did and most grow into it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by