1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will They Hatch Still?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicks_N_Horses, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    The man that gave me my bator came by yesterday and asked me to hatch out 3 dozen BO and I agreed. I already had 12 eggs in of my own that were on day 4. I put the eggs he brought in (some were cracked so it was less than 3 dozen in the end) but now the temp has yet to rise back up to 101!!!!! I am freaking out here. I ruined my first batch when the temp spiked too high and now I am a nervous wreck over this batch. I find myself checking this bators temp 20 times a day to make sure it is all going right....

Since yesterday evening when putting the other eggs in the temp has been in the low 90s and it is sloowwlyy rising back up...almost at 101 now but I am so worried this will affect the hatch... Will it? Does it take longer to heat up more eggs?

Need advice [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    bumping

3. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    I wouldn't be too worried. They should still hatch

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Hopefully it will only delay your other eggs a little.

I wonder about thermometers anyway. I have two.

One says it's 101 with 40% humidity, the other (the one I used last time) says it's 99.5 with 48% humidity. I have no clue which one is correct. Last time I got 12 out of 41 original eggs. 12 of 22 at day 18.

Eventually I hope I can get it down to a science.

5. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Makes sense that it would take a while to heat up that many new eggs. You're older ones may be delayed by a day or two.

6. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    It finally got back up to 101 earlier today and I am so hoping it stays there.

Thanks for the advice!! [​IMG] I feel a little better about it now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by