Will they hatch?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vfem, Jun 22, 2010.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    My pekins and my muscovy have nests they are sitting on. My muscovy is mixed with my pekin drake only. I think I was told the eggs from the muscovy may not hatch as they are a mix? But I wasn't sure if that just meant the ducks the eggs hatched would be sterile?

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    The eggs are fertile, the ducks will not be. So you're right--the eggs may hatch (as much as any other eggs might hatch--there are so many variables it's hard to say--but there's no reason they can't be fertile as long as your drake is doing his job), but the offspring will most likely not be able to have babies.

Does that help?

3. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Yes, I do believe that is what I was wondering. I just wanted to make sure she wasn't wasting her time sitting with 100% not chance of hatch rate! LOL

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Makes sense. [​IMG] I hope you'll post pictures when they hatch--I bet they'll be adorable! I think muscovy ducklings are the cutest things in the world, and a mix will probably be even cuter, if that's possible! [​IMG]

5. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh I hope so. My pekin duck is sitting on one nest of her own... so I'm expecting quite a bit of duckies running around soon. I think around the end of next week... all the way until July 4th we think. They are in a fenced in tall brush near the pond we can't get to, so when they little one's hatch we have to wait for the mama's to parade them around the yard, and then get the babies before the turtles do! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by