Will they Increase with Age?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DouglasPeeps, Dec 12, 2008.

1. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    My hens will be a year old in February. I have 16 RIR's, 6 BO, 6 SLW, 2 PR, and 2 EE. I am wondering if after the first year their eggs will get bigger. I do get large eggs from them, but not consistently. More than half of the eggs I gather each day are small to medium sized eggs. I don't mind, but some of my customers have asked me.

So, I am wondering if as my hens "age", their egg size will increase?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  2. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

well it depends on the breed
    some will lay Sm to med and some will lay med to large and then just large

but when girls do start laying they will lay small then slowing they will get bigger.

my girls just started laying about 2 weeks ago and they are just starting to lay every day and they are getting a little bigger.

go to MY Page i have the info on chickens for the progressive chick Id's that we started back in summer and there is info on there on what size and color they will lay

I hope this helps
    laura

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My BSL has been laying for about 2 weeks. Her eggs have gone from about 45 grams up to 50 grams now. They are getting bigger but not tremendously so.

4. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't mean from when they first started laying. My hens have been laying for almost 6 months now. I am just surprised that I am still getting much smaller eggs then what I expected on a regular basis.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I got a very large egg from one of my girls today. Since September, we've only gotten two double yolkers... I hope this one is too... but some of our Barred Rock gals are still laying some tiny eggs. Two of the four RIR are still laying very small also.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I'd think that by the time they're that age, the eggs are as large as they're going to get.

7. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Thanks!!!

That is what I was thinking...... [​IMG] (but not what I was wishing)

8. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart is a good source.

Some of those varieties just lay a medium sized egg. I was surprised at how many do. Next season, they'll lay larger eggs but not as many.

Another thing that I noticed is that once you start getting x large eggs, your brain starts see them as normal. Until I bought an egg scale, I thought some eggs that weigh in as large were mediums. Eggs just look smaller to me than they really are.

9. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Hi DPeeps,

Mine will also be a year in Feb. RIR, BO, Blck Aus, NHR, BR, and a few more breeds. I got several double yokers from the get go and like today we hauled in one that's near 3 inches long. Usually everyday the above crew lays L to XL. Even my EE's that aren't slacking right now [​IMG] are laying biggies. I figure though as long as they lay pretty consistently they don't have to be XL or even L all the time. Just thankful to get any right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by