will they kill all these trees in the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sydney13, Jun 23, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    we are planning on building the run in back of the coop for the hens and their is a lot tree right their. so do you think the trees will all die, and if so how long will they last? im a little hopeful the trees will last but is their no hope for the plants their [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    The trees should be safe. Anything on the ground will be destroyed. There is a possibility that the chemicals from their dropping may harm certain small trees... How many birds were you going to put there?

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:7 hens and 1 goose and it will be 4 ft tall with will be avairy netting over it

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    You will very, very quickly regret not makign it tall enough to stand up in. Trust me I know. [​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Agreed!

6. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    My run is down at the wood's edge, and I left all the small trees that I could to give the girls shade. They will eat the leaves that they can reach, but definitely not kill the trees. In fact, they seem to be growing better than ever. Probably all that good compost that is scratched around them.

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My run has Illinois everbearing Mulberry trees, apple trees, and persimmon. I also grow tomatoes in the run for them to eat by planting them in a chicken proof cage cylinder that grows up into a trellis that drops tomatoes to the chickens till frost. (I like the free food for chickens concept, since free range didn't work here due to predation). You should be able to plant anything you want in a cage till it gets tall/large enough so the chickens can't hurt it--that's how I started my apple tree.

8. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Good idea about the cage for a tomato plant. My girls love tomatoes. It would have to be tiny holes in the wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by