Will they lay blue or green eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Crazy Chicken Fever, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Crazy Chicken Fever

Crazy Chicken Fever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    I have a true araucana roo that I let cross with my heavy laying hens.....here is my question

If the hen is a leghorn will the offspring lay blue eggs?

I also crossed him with my wyandotte, isa, and rir hens....will the offspring lay brown eggs or will they be blue?

You should see some of the offspring! They are beautiful.

I would like to breed for all blue and olive eggs. I do not know much about genetics so any advice would be helpful.

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Any offspring of the araucana roo to a non-araucana hen will result in the birds being what is considered 'Easter Eggers'. They will be green, tan, pink, brown, oliveish, and everywhere in between. It is doubtful you would get a nice blue egg from any of them, maybe a pale blue from the leghorn?

To breed for true blue eggs, you will need another aracauna or even ameracauna hen. Olive? That's simply blue with brown.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A blue egg layer crossed with a brown egg layer usually results in daughters who lay green eggs. I have several who are crosses between a Barred Rock rooster and true Ameraucanas (blue, black, splash) and they lay green eggs.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Blue crossed with white will give you as blue an egg as the blue egger parent. It may or may not be as vibrant a hue. If the blue egg laying parent has two copies of the gene, all offspring will lay blue or green eggs. If only one copy, some will not inherit the blue egg gene, and will lay brown or tinted eggs, some of which can be considered "pink."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by