Will they lay this year?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Dec 22, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Well, actually next year, but will my welsh harlequins lay this winter? They are about 5 months old, and getting their fair share of feed. im just acking for eggs [​IMG]

2. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    I think we got ours about the same time.... God I hope so.
    I was out there a couple days ago setting up a lovely little duck paradise with a plush 4-6" of straw throughout the floor of the entire pen, new nest boxes, and I even hardboiled some chicken eggs and stuck them in the nests for "dummy eggs". They eat tons of protein and free range every afternoon... these girls are quickly running out of excuses. (Especially the 4 girls I got full grown)

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Yeah, mine came a week before yours. They should be laying by end of next month. [​IMG] [​IMG] ...

My other two hens (already went through their first laying year) stopped. The ancona was laying there for a while. But the rouen stopped WELL over two months. Hopeing she springs back up soon... I hope they ALL do! [​IMG] out of 6 hens... I get ... ZERO eggs!

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Where I live, no, they won't until spring. But in your area, maybe. It depends on your winter conditions. Its a frozen tundra here until March so they generally don't start until then.

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Hows.this, I can walk outside in a T-shirt and be perfectly warm...

6. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada

Then maybe yours will start before spring, its much colder here.

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN

Then maybe yours will start before spring, its much colder here.

Im sure hopeing they do [​IMG] I dont eat any other eggs BUT duck eggs. I hate chicken eggs [​IMG] (no offence chicken eggs eaters"

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga

Gosh I know, our south georgia "winter" is having a serious identity crisis this year, so far we've only had one or two very light freezes this year, maybe three weeks total when a cold front would come through for a bit enough to need long pants and a coat, and all the other time has been perfect t-shirt, shorts and flip flops weather

9. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada

Gosh I know, our south georgia "winter" is having a serious identity crisis this year, so far we've only had one or two very light freezes this year, maybe three weeks total when a cold front would come through for a bit enough to need long pants and a coat, and all the other time has been perfect t-shirt, shorts and flip flops weather

Hmm, if I wore flip flops here in the winter, I'd end up with no feet [​IMG]

10. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Don't know that it helps, but those two khakis are still laying like champs [​IMG] and all my runners have started laying. I have 5 ducks and over the last week I've been getting 4-5 eggs a day. Waiting for that first egg seems to take forever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by