Will they learn horizontal nipple??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by RobPS, Jan 23, 2017.

1. RobPS

RobPS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2017
    Hi folks. Newbie here with 8 female quales that I just introduced into my first quail coop (never raised other birds either).

I built a 5 gal bucket feeder using horizontal nipples. So far I have not seen any birds using it. Not sure how often they drink, but I also don't sit out there for hours on end watching.

My water nipples are a little hard to get to for me, but if I remove the floor from the area above them, I can reach in and "force" a bird to tap it. I tried that with one bird but she wasn't too keen on the idea and didn't drink any of the water that came out. So then I just used my finger and tapped the nipples until water dropped out. A couple birds watched but didn't pursue them after.

My question is -- do I just wait and hope that one of these 8 birds will peck, get water, and then the others will catch on? Do I need to have nightly training sessions? What does it take for quail to figure these things out?

Couple of pics:[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. slkyldy4evr

slkyldy4evr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    With my chickens, I just let water out of it with my finger whenever they were around and eventually they got the hang of it.

3. RobPS

RobPS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2017
    Thanks. In my case, it's a lot harder to do that due to where I located the watering nipples. I can put a skinny stick through the hardware cloth to activate the nipples rather easily, but to put my hands in there means that I have to go in from above... which means removing the pine shavings from the "upstairs" section, sliding out that floor/ceiling, then reaching in from above.

I suppose that's even more of a disruption than just poking a stick in there, so I'll try that a few times. Maybe they'll catch on?

4. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes the less disruptive the more receptive they'll be, especially since they're in a new place :)

I would keep both options available to them, a bowl of water/waterer on a brick is more ideal for keeping it clean and wait until you see the hens drinking from the new setup before removing it.

They're probably stressed and have a lot of things to get used to before they feel comfortable. I think when you put a sand bath in it'll help to relax them ^^

Are they kinda sticking to the solid floor or venturing out to where the waterer is?

5. RobPS

RobPS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2017
    Got it. They actually prefer the open area of the coop over the closed in area where they started out. The food and water bowl are both inside the "upstairs/indoor" section and i rarely see any of them in there. They tend to huddle at the bottom of the ramp. They can navigate the ramp though--I've seen that.

6. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice :D

There is also this style of cup that has a little pool of water, I see them online for as low as a dollar :)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by