Will They Need to Be Separated?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickaren, Mar 24, 2012.

1. chickaren

chickaren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Stratford, CT
    First, I don't know if I call it my flock because I only have 3 chickens total. They are all Bantams. One hen, which is a year old (who doesn't lay, by the way) and two new birds that are 8 1/2 weeks old. Although they tolerate the older hen, the two younger birds are best friends since they were brought up together. But I just found out that one of the two is a rooster. He started crowing a couple of days ago. I think the other is/was a runt of the batch I got the two younger ones from because she is such a scaredy bird. She had cross beak, (which I fixed by filing it a bit) so wasn't able to eat as well before or defend herself as far as pecking order). I think before I got her, she was dead last in pecking order of her former chick flock. Now she is somewhat afraid of my older hen. Sorry for babbling. My actual question is will I have to eventually separate the two younger birds because of the fact that one is a rooster? The other is lost without him, even if he is just a few feet away. And my older hen picks on her now and then just because she can. The roo protects her. I am worried that I will have to remove him for some reason or another because I sort of remember reading that somewhere before. Not sure because I am a newbie. Any info is appreciated.

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    I guess it depends on the behavior of the rooster. If he pesters the two hens a lot he may end up pulling a lot of feathers out trying to breed. But if he's a gentle guy you might not have any problems. If the crowing isn't an issue, that is.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm not quite sure about what your fears are about keeping the rooster and hens together. It's done all the time or there would be no more chickens. Bantam roosters GENERALLY cause little wear and tear on their mates because of their smalleer size so that should not be a problem. If problems arise, then separate. As my wife always tells me, "Don't project." [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by