Will they never get along?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sookiesmom, Jan 3, 2015.

1. sookiesmom

sookiesmom Songster

Mar 14, 2010
    Ocean County, NJ
    I had 2 silkies as pets. One of them was hatched by the other from fertilized eggs I got. Now the mom would peck at her when she annoyed her but they generally got along. The one that hatched here, though, I was never really able to tame. I've had a few chickens, but none like this one. I have to chase her half the time & just doesn't like being held. Perhaps I just got lucky with all my other girls.

Anyway, beginning of December the mom, Pippie, died. (Miss her dearly!). So I thought the baby born in my my coop, Pumpkin, would want some company. Got an 8 week old Easter Egger pullet a few weeks ago, Rosie. Now Pumpkin doesn't always chase her around, but if Rosie is by me & Pumpkin starts walking over the poor thing is a nervous wreck running around and flying to get away. Yesterday had one in each arm & Pumpkin leaned over & bit her nastily. I know the Rosie is still chirping a lot like a baby & maybe getting on her nerves.

Then at night Rosie huddles under Pumpkin & Pumpkin aggressively pecks at her. Funny thing is, Pumpkin did same thing to Pippie, even when Pumpkin got bigger than her. And Pippie would peck her a little.

So my question is should I be concerned? Never had this problem when bringing in a new hen. But, like I said, maybe I was just lucky. I don't want this new pullet to be a nervous wreck her whole life. And when I open the coop door in the morning, Rosie desperately flys right to me to get away from Pumpkin.

Any advice is much appreciated!!!!!

Thanks

2. lucy henhouse

lucy henhouse Hatching

Dec 29, 2014
    We introduced a new chicken to our flock and they would pick on her so we separated them. Had like a fence separating them so they could see each other and get used to each other. We done this for a couple weeks before we finally let her into the flock and they get along now. You could try that but i am not sure it will work for all chickens so good luck!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  3. sookiesmom

sookiesmom Songster

Mar 14, 2010
    Ocean County, NJ
    Thanks Lucy. I'll have to look into how I can do that with my run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: