1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will they roost on the other side?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gale65, Jul 22, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a small coop and a lot of chickens right now. We are planning to rehome half of them but I am secretly hoping dh offers to build a new coop or build onto the existing one so I can keep all of them. So anyway the roost is plenty big enough for all of them right now but it will be getting too small before long. There is a 2nd place to roost but they never get on it. If the first roost gets too small will they use the 2nd one? The main roost is a 2 x 4 but the other one, which was originally the shelf in front of the nest boxes (which are now blocked) is a flat board thing and is about 3 or 4 inches below the 2 x 4 (on the opposite wall).

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    The top chickens in the pecking order will get the preferred roost and the lower ones will get the other one. YMMV.

3. oaklandmama

oaklandmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    We had the exact same problem, but eventually they all spread out and figured it all out. For a couple weeks all eight of ours were crowding onto one branch, I even found one sitting *on top* of another chicken one morning. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by