1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will they share the coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nancyrae, Aug 11, 2013.

1. nancyrae

nancyrae Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    I put my two flocks together. Everything seems to be going well. For the most part. When we first put the younger ones in with the older ones, we locked the younger ones in the coop for a short time. That first night, they ALL went back in for the night. I was thrilled! Since then, the older ones have started laying eggs and now not one of the younger ones will go in the coop at night. I'm guessing the older ones are letting the younger ones know that they don't want to be disturbed. Outside, in the run, everyone seems to tolorate each other well, no major issues, everyone seems to know the pecking order. But these younger ones need to go to the coop at night. It will be getting fall soon so I am more concerned about weather and preditors. What do I do? After the egg laying is done for the day, should I lock the younger ones back in the coop by themselves for a few hours? Or not? What?!
    Thanks!

2. LAYINGCHICKENZ4

LAYINGCHICKENZ4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    Ihave to flocks together in one coop and they go together good pecking here in there but it wont hurt them unless it gets excessive.

3. nancyrae

nancyrae Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    but how do I get the younger ones to actually go back into the coop at night?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by