Will they start laying in January?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by babowman3, Oct 24, 2013.

1. babowman3

babowman3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello!

I have 4 golden buffs, 3 buff orpingtons, 2 barred rocks, and 2 easter eggers that were hatched 8/19/13. They will be 5months old January 19 and that's when one can usually start to look for eggs, however I do know the colder months they slack off. I'm in Florida so its not super cold here but it does get in the high 20s low 30s at night and the am's. Can I expect to see some eggs? Or will they probably wait till spring? [​IMG]

2. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    I would also like to know...mine hatched on jun 24 and jul 8. Getting closer to hatching age but it will be colder by then so not sure if I'll see eggs next month.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There is no way to know until you see an egg. I don’t provide extra light, yet I’ve had pullets start to lay in early December, the shortest darkest days of the year. I’ve had some wait until February or March when the days are noticeably getting longer. They are not consistent. They lay when they lay.

1 person likes this.
  4. babowman3

I've noticed some have beeb hanging out in the nest box. Is this a coincidence and its comfy during the windy days, or could this be a sign of laying soon?

5. babowman3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by