Will they start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ohju1ia, Oct 8, 2013.

1. ohju1ia

ohju1ia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Ball Ground, GA
    I have 2 barred rock and 2 white rock chickens that are 25 weeks old and a white leghorn that is 17 weeks old. Because the day is getting shorter, will they wait until spring to start laying? Will my 17 week old EE start laying during the winter as well?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Usually, chickens hatched in the spring/summer will start laying in the fall or early winter, and lay through the winter. They may even start laying in the dead of winter. However, some birds will not start laying until spring. It really depends on the individual bird. Some birds are better layers, and will lay with less light, while others are not. To help encourage your birds to lay, you can try putting in a light bulb.

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Depends also on breed and how that breed matures. I had a leghorn lay at 19 weeks, a barred rock lay at 24 weeks and GLW lay at 37 weeks and the slw lay at 34 weeks. They were all spring / summer hatchlings. I got my first eggs in November - late October and December.

When your pullets combs turn very bright cherry red you know they are ovulating. It takes 24 hours from ovulation to egg.

That is the best indicator I know to watch and know who is going to lay an egg.

It is frustrating and "eggciting"
    At the same time.

Hang in there
    Caroline

4. ohju1ia

ohju1ia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Ball Ground, GA
    these are my white rocks. Their faces are already pretty red, and have been for two weeks. The wait is killing me lol. I think I'm going to be an old lady before they lay finally [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are my barred rocks that look like they are a few weeks behind
    [​IMG]

5. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I've got 3 RIR and one cochin (I think) that I'm waiting on. The combs are getting very red. Every day I search the yard. Still nothing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by