Will they start soon? Silkies laying...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by possumhunter, Jun 24, 2010.

1. possumhunter

possumhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    I thought that I had read that silkies start laying around the 20 week mark like other birds, but mine aren't laying yet. They are 26 weeks old...any idea how much longer? My roos have been crowing for about a month (if you can call it crowing, sounds more like a dying cat). [​IMG]

2. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Honestly I think they are suppose to be laying. I could be wrong. Do you mind if I ask what you have been feeding them? Any oyster shell? Could they be stressed about anything?

3. possumhunter

possumhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    They are still on purina grow/starter...I haven't switched to layer yet, as I was trying to finish up the other bag first. Would that make a difference? I haven't moved them or anything, so I don't see any reason for them to be stressed. It hasn't been very warm around here lately. Summer just hit this week and this week has been the first sun we have had in a couple of months, could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks!

4. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Well I am not an expert but with the grower starter they may not be getting the nutrition they need to make an egg and it would be better if you had some oyster shell out. Have you checked to see if they were egg bound? The change in temp shouldn't be the reason they don't lay period, probably just stop for a few days.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  5. Dylan's Silkies

Dylan's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Virginia
    People say they should start laying between 6-8 months but it's morelikely around 8+ months especially the better quality ones. They're slower to mature. One of my blue pullets just started laying this week and she's 8 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by