Will They Survive?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Alley101, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Alley101

Alley101 Just Hatched

Aug 22, 2016
    NY
    Hello!

I'm wondering if I brood chickens from chick to adult from September to December (16 weeks) and keep them in my basement with heat lamps if they'll survive the winter. I believe that they'll be okay with the heat lamps but I wanted to double check. This is really important to me, because I really want to raise chickens.

Thanks!

-Alley

2. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    I raised chicks in my barn with heat lamps and they all survived the winter. So long as the heat lamp keeps it the require temp, it doesn't really matter what season it is. Good luck, and[​IMG]

3. Alley101

Alley101 Just Hatched

Aug 22, 2016
    NY

Thanks @MadamPoofyBrow, for the input! This was really helpful!

- Alley

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I use two lamps in winter "in the barn as well". Just in case one would go out in the night.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Your chicks should be weaned off heat altogether by the time they are 5 weeks old. They can go out at that time, and really should. You don't want to keep them in your basement until December, because they will have a harder time adjusting to the colder weather at that time. There are many things you can do to transition them. The first suggestion I would make would be to do away with the heat lamps altogether and switch to a heating pad for your brooder. When they transition off the heat, you can provide them with a huddle box. You can do a search for information on both of these methods by entering the topic in the top blue search bar. Blooie has a wonderful article on Mother Heating Pad brooder. And I think it's Azygous who is the huddle box queen. When using a heat lamp, it's super important that the brooder be big enough so that they only have heat directly under the heat lamp. The rest of the brooder should be what ever the ambient outside temps are. That's why the heating pad is such a superior brooding method. It doesn't heat up the rest of the brooder, and more closely mimics the heat provided by a broody hen.

1 person likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^^

I think I started the huddle box, but didn't use it this year as I brooded in the coop with the MHP after just one week inside the house...
    [email protected] is the 'chick portal' queen.

7. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Thanks Aart for the clarification. I like to give credit where it is due, so will try to remember that. You are genious!!!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  8. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Aart: have you found that your huddle box has any bearing on the likelihood for the chicks to take up night time residence in the nest boxes when they move to the adult coop?????

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, I didn't use a huddle box this year, I put one in but they didn't use it after they wouldn't fit under the MHP anymore, and they still all wanted to sleep in nest boxes.
    So, no, I don't think it has any bearing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by