Will they survive?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bumble16, Mar 15, 2017.

1. bumble16

bumble16 New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    Hi, I've just joined in need of help please. Yesterday 3 King Quail eggs hatched from a nest of 11. They are in a shared aviary and we have had 4 lots in the past with no drama. When these little ones emerged yesterday at noon they were immediately attacked by their 2 month old siblings. I took them out and popped them inside in a box with a lamp and they came back from impending death. [​IMG] This morning the Mummy wasn't on the 8 remaining eggs and I don't think she was all night so I have brought them inside as well. What are the chances of the rest hatching after presumably being cold overnight and is there anything I can do to help them? Thanks

2. AimeeDx

AimeeDx Just Hatched

Jan 22, 2017
    Hi Bumble,
    Good thinking to bring the other eggs in, is it winter or summer there?
    If its summer than they have a really good chance of surviving, but if its winter, depending how cold it is, they have a much lower chance, but you should find out soon if the other eggs have already hatched.
    by the way, im not sure if im right as im just going of past experiences with chicken eggs, never dealt with quails before :D
    Good luck!
    Aimee

3. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I ended up raising some a little while ago. Their mother incubated them perfectly until the eggs pipped, then she got off and didn't get back on. I hovered for hours seeing if she would return to them but she didn't so I brought them inside to hatch under a heat lamp.

Eggs are incredibly tough and can hold their heat for quite some time. Plus as they near hatching they start to produce a bit of heat. And 8 eggs should keep each other warm (even infertile eggs make good hot water bottles for the others). So there is definitely hope. Do let us know if you have any luck. They are such cute babies!

4. bumble16

bumble16 New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    I lost one of the little fellas today [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I'm sorry! [​IMG] I had 6 hatch but one didn't thrive. I nursed him along for a week before he finally died. It's tough when you lose them.

6. bumble16

bumble16 New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] lost another one last night so am only left with "Backpack" ( he was sitting on his siblings therefore the name suited). I don't think any of the 6 remaining eggs will hatch either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by