Will they survive?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Phionex Man, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Phionex Man

Phionex Man Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yes, and yes.

short term variations aren't really going to harm things.

I came home twice and my incubator was over 105, for who knows how long. Several hours, probably. I did have a bad hatch, but I'd been having hatching issues anyway. The chicks did continue to develop after the temp spikes, so I know the spikes didn't kill the embryo right then.

A hen gets off the nest at least once a day, for up to an hour sometimes. During that time, the eggs cool off to whatever ambient temp is. They're designed to tolerate that daily cooling off, or the hen would die.

1 person likes this.
  3. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    Can you set your thermostat a little lower? Both of my thermostats do not display the correct temperature, so I have to set them according to the thermometer I have in the bator.

The eggs heat up and cool much slower than the incubator so your eggs are going to be an average of the temp in the incubator

4. Phionex Man

Aug 11, 2014
    my thermostat is different then my Thermometer...

Also, if i put the thermostat thing ON the egg will it work?

5. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    Yes, I am saying my thermostat is a couple degrees off so I set the thermostat using the thermometer I have in the bator.. Like in my hatcher today I am trying to keep it at 99, but my thermostat is set to 96.6 degrees, the thermometer in the bator is at 99 constantly. I just hatched a chick in fact : )

6. Phionex Man

Aug 11, 2014
    i hope mine hatch when i try...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by