Will this baby make it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by animegalash, May 7, 2011.

1. animegalash

animegalash Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    I hope it will.

I had to assist a keet in getting out of it's egg because the humidity had accedentally gotten too low in the incubator and the keet was stuck to the membrane of the egg and had made absolutely no progress at all. Well I did it all very gradually and went according to some instructions i had read somewhere else.

During hatching there was a little bit of yellow stuff, im thinking a small amount of yolk but not alot. It didnt alarm me because i looked in the bottom of the other eggs that had hatched successfully and they still had a little bit of it in them too.... There was a bit more in this one however and im hoping it was not the yolk and just a bit of waste from being in the egg for so long.

Right now the keet is very energetic and moving around alot in the incubator. It is dry however its down is stuck to it and it gives the appearance of being wet. It also only opens one eye. Im worried about that. I think the eye that wont open was stuck to the membrane of the shell. It also has trouble holding its head up. It does look like its getting better though and stronger.

Im wondering if i should go ahead and move it into the brooder with the chicks and other keets or if i should leave it in the incubator for a little while longer?

Do you guys think this keet will make it?

Advice would be great too since this is my first hatch of chickens and guineas.

2. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    It still may, I would leave it in the incubator longer so it has to me to recover before getting stepped on by its siblings. It had a harder time getting out so its probably tired.

3. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    I agree. Good Luck with the lil guy! [​IMG]

4. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Welcome to BYC animegalash!!! [​IMG]

I personally think he'll be fine. He has probably got goo stuck all over him causing his eye to
    stay shut. Once he's more active and can hold up his head, you can take a damp wash cloth

and try and get some of that stuff off. [​IMG] You do not want to put him in with the rest, even

when he's active I'd keep him alone for atleast another day or Just to be sure. Good luck with

your baby!!

-Scissor

5. animegalash

animegalash Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Bad news. He didnt make it. He tried his hardest and i did what i could for him.

But good news. I had another keet hatched about 10 minutes ago. It took this little one about one hour to hatch if that. Tough little fella. Its going to turn out a pretty pearl gray color too. The traditional guinea color. Its peeping like crazy right now, so as soon as he's dried off he goes to the brooder to meet it's siblings, and the chicks.

This little chicken and guinea experiment of mine has turned out to be exciting, and a good learning experience. I think i'm gonna keep with this hatching thing. [​IMG]

6. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Sooo sorry about your baby [​IMG]
    Congrats on the others [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by