Will this be a problem?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamaj323, Feb 17, 2014.

1. mamaj323

mamaj323 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2013
    Murphys, Ca
    We got our first egg ever on last Wed. from one of our Cuckoo Marans. Pretty little dark egg. She laid four days in a row but the last two days nothing. I thought maybe I'd spruce up the nesting boxes for her as encouragement. :) When I went in the coop I discovered we have a new layer! Under the roost was a big pale beige egg! Unfortunately, the shell was thin and it didn't survive the drop. It was obvious that some of the girls had been enjoying my egg after it broke. Now I'm worried. Did my new layer's surprise egg just create a bunch of egg eaters? None of the CM were touched. Is there something I can do to ensure they won't go crazy on the next egg? I will be very frustrated if now that I'm FINALLY getting eggs the ladies eat them first. [​IMG]
    Tragic.

2. Shan30

Shan30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Vancouver island
    Don't worry this is no big deal.

Chickens are opportunistic, if the egg is already broken they will eat it. New or young layers may peck at an egg out of curiosity or to see it the shell is strong enough for hatching.

I throw cracked eggs to the girls all the time and have no problems with egg eating.

Congratulations on the eggs by the way!

3. mamaj323

mamaj323 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2013
    Murphys, Ca
    Whew! Thank you! I thought I was going to have to camp out in there! Lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by