Will this be big enough for 4 birds?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by C&Rman, Jul 8, 2011.

1. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Hi! I am planning on building a chicken tractor type of coop. Right now I have 2 birds, a banty rooster and a guinea bird. I plan on adding 2 banty hens with them.
    I will be building a 4x8 run with a 4x4 coop ontop of the run with a ramp leading down from the floor of the coop. Will this be big enough for them? I was hoping it would since they are just bantys.

2. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I have 6 adolescent chickens (2 - 3 months) and use a 4 x 8 tractor for their run until I finish their main run. I move it throughout the day and they do well with it. Wish it was a little bigger but it'd be darn hard to move! It seems to me like you'd be okay, but I'd wait for expert advice before building [​IMG]

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes...[​IMG]

4. SirFarmAlot

SirFarmAlot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    You should be fine. Good luck! My wife and I are out to finish our tractor this weekend.

5. C&Rman

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Ok good. I can't wait for pictures SirFarmAlot! Thank you everybody!

6. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    I think that is a great size and I am SURE you birds will do really well, even adding a few more they will have room.

I think any bigger is really hard to move. I went overboard and thentook it apart and made it smaller. With the one you have again you should do well.

BEST of luck.

7. That should work. You will know if they are all getting along without any feather loss. 32 sf should work. Let em out loose if your able to once in a while, and that'll make em even happier.

8. C&Rman

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Quote:I am not allowed to let them loose, my neighbors call the cops on all my birds. So they will have to stay penned. I want to give them as much portable room as possible so they can all have enough room.

9. Old Homestead

Old Homestead Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Stockton
    Sorry to hear about the neighbor's , the run is good for 3 to 4 full size chicken's .. good luck

10. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    My coop is a tad bigger (20 sf) but my tractor is the same size (not connected to the coop). I have 4 full sized and they're great in it. I move them around the yard to fresh grass. I'd say 4 banty hens would do great, BUT you said one was a rooster (probably why the cops are called). When your flock expands, you will need more space. If you really want your rooster, consider making a bigger permanent coop and maybe even a bigger permanent run. Just my opinion. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by