Will this be enough chicks for my family?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BearSwampChick, Feb 9, 2008.

1. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    This my planned order from Meyer: all pullets

2 Golden Buffs
    2 Barred Rocks
    2 Black Australorps
    2 Buff Orps
    2 Speckled Sussex
    2 Ameraucanas
    1 SL Wyandotte
    1 GL Wyandotte

Will this provide enough eggs for my family of 6 adults, 5 grandkids (young) and extras for occasional gifts to neighbors and friends?

2. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    You should get about 6 dozen a week. How many eggs do you go through?

3. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Sounds like the right amount. I have 4 for a family of four, and it works out well.

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but Meyer Hatchery isn't selling the Speckled Sussex any more (even though their website says they do). I was heartbroken, myself, because I wanted one this spring.

But PLEASE, voice your dissatisfaction to Meyer. I'm hoping they'll rethink their decision not to offer them.

(edited for typos)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Probably more than enough, but will be a pretty flock.

Enjoy

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

On the My Pet Chicken website, it says that you need about 2 hens per person in your family to cover your egg needs and 3 if you REALLY like eggs. I hope this helps.

6. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Quote:Wow, that seems like WAY too many. I have MORE than enough eggs with one hen per person. And I like to bake, too.

7. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Ang, 6 dozen sounds about right with the giveaways.

Horsewishr, that's too bad about the SS. I think they're so pretty. I will voice my complaint.

s6bee, thanks, since I'm a first-timer that was my intention. I had a hard time narrowing it down to those ones. It made it easier because Meyer didn't have some of the ones I wanted.

Jareds44m, I didn't see that on my pet chicken even though I've been on there a hundred times. Thanks.

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2008
  9. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I live alone and have 5 chickens, but I have many people to share with including our church.

That seems like a good amount, if they are pretty good layers you will get 30-40 out of them I think. Per week, wow that's alot [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Don't count your eggs before they are laid. Some hens do not lay every day - which is perfectly normal for some hens. I have 37 hens laying now. I am getting 17 - 27 eggs a day. When the weather is extremely cold or frozen - I get 7 or 8. As soon as it warms up the production goes back up.

Some folks are fortunate and do get an egg a day from each hen but that really isn't the norm.

Also the bigger heavier hens take a little longer to get going with the egg business. My oprs didn't start layting until 22 - 26 weeks (that is 5 hens) and the BR and Wyandottes laid I think nearer to 26 weeks. The RIR were the first to lay at 19 weeks.

Everyone seems to think the magic egg laying age is 18 - 24 weeks and for many pullets it is but alot of times it isn't.

Plan accordingly.

Have fun with the breeds you chose. They will be fun.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by