1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Will this be OK to feed baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BrownEggFan, Aug 3, 2010.

1. BrownEggFan

BrownEggFan Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    I have two chicks that hatched today and possibly several more on the way. I'll be moving some to the brooder tonight or tomorrow morning, but I have a question regarding what I should feed them. I had purchased some 32% protein, medicated turkey "pre-starter" for some quail I had purchased, and have about 10 lbs remaining. Can I feed this to my chicks or is the protein too high?

2. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chirping

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I wouldn't, personally.

3. I know you don't want the medicated turkey pre-starter to go bad, but hold off using it. The chick feed has everything baby chicks need and in the correct balances.

When your birds are older (a few months from now) throw down a scoop full of the turkey food along with the chicken food. Most poultry like variety in their meals and that high protein food may be just the ticket when the chicks are closer to laying age.

Anybody else disagree? (I just want to make sure I'm giving good advice.)

4. carrlr

carrlr Songster

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I agree with Gold Griffin Chicken Mom. I wouldn't use it now, but in a few months it should be fine.

5. BrownEggFan

BrownEggFan Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    Thanks for the advice!! I'll have to get a bag of chick starter this week...I know, I should have been better prepared. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by