1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Will this be secure enough??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kidcallous, May 21, 2010.

1. kidcallous

kidcallous Chirping

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    Building the run tomorrow. Plan on having 2x3 welded wire fencing around the perimeter of the run, with 1 foot of chicken wire buried, and 2 feet of chicken wire up the sides, overtop of the welded wire fencing. There ARE raccoons in the area, so I want to make sure that the run is secure as possible for when I get the ladies.

I don't have the money for electric hot wire, so I'm hoping this set up will be secure. I have 2 big dogs who poop in the yard, and I'm not sure if that will deter any midnight marauders, but think the coop will be pretty secure set up this way? I may also line the outside of the coop with cinderblocks - when I can afford to get some.

Also, can raccoons open a human sized door? What are my options for securing the door?? Thank you in advance!! This forum is so helpful!!

Last edited: May 21, 2010

2. rachr1

rachr1 Hatching

May 8, 2010
    be sure to put a top on it, the welded wire would be better than the chicken wire

3. kidcallous

kidcallous Chirping

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    I was gonna do welded wire all the way, with the chicken wire overtop of the welded wire along the bottom and buried.

Are chickens curious when a coon comes, or do they know that coons are bad news??

4. bakerjw

bakerjw Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Raccoons can reach through chicken wire so you'd be better off with 1/2" square hardware cloth along the bottom of the run. Keeps them from reaching in.

5. kidcallous

kidcallous Chirping

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    Run is built!! Now we are getting ready to start the wire fencing around the perimeter. Is it better to secure the wire on the outside of the run, or around the inside of the run??

I guess, in other words - what is harder for say, a racoon? Harder to push the wire in, or harder to pull the wire off?

Racoons are really the major predator that I'm worried about. [​IMG]

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I would go for 4 feet welded wire and 1/2 hardware cloth partially buried to wards the outside below. We have 4 large dogs and the coons don't care. I basically trap and dispose of them. The only way, because they do take on my dogs and I'm not waiting for a fight. This year we saw one coon with turned into 6 total. Oh did I forgot to mention coons do mark their territory for other coons to follow around on it like a map. Your best bet is a charge, because they will climb fences. They are not as expensive as you think. A basic charger is only 20 bucks.
    Katharina

7. fargosmom

fargosmom Songster

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm not sure if it makes much difference which side you attach it to, but the method of attachment makes a difference. I've read the best way is to use screws with big fender washers, so the wire is very securely attached. If you just use staples they can be pulled out. If your framing is solid and the wire is attached securely you should be fine . . . but I would recommend adding 1/2" hardware cloth at the bottom (maybe 3' up) so little paws can't reach through. My entire run (it is small) is hardware cloth and in the year we've had chickens nothing has even bothered to try to break in, that I know of, and I know we have some pretty massive coons in our neighborhood.

8. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Songster

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    We've had coons and foxes approach the run in daylight-- the chickens perk up and look at them, but don't always run!!
    We also had a coon ( or something) kill 2 ducks one night, during the first year we had birds, and they had dug under, gone over, reached in and pulled out, as well as pushed in wire-- so they seem to be able to "do it all", so make sure the wire is secure and overlapping, if you can, so there are fewer places to breach if they try to get in.

I also have male family members who I have advised to NEVER come in the house to urinate-- if you're outside, go do your business outside the chicken run, barn, or barnyard fencing. Between rains, it really seems to work, even in winter. There's almost an invisible line where they wild animals won't cross, based on tracks, scat and footprints ( when it rains, it all has to start again, of course). I figure, any little bit helps. We don't have dogs, but dog hair from brushing or clipping, spread around will help some also.

Quote:

9. kidcallous

kidcallous Chirping

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:
    So I should just send my husband outside evertime he has to "wee" !!! Hahaha, but hey, whatever works. I do have 2 dogs, and I know they will poop/pee around the run. They have already pooped outside the run, and it was just put up yesterday.

Better get out there and get back to work. Digging a 1 foot perimeter ditch in sand is HARD WORK!

Thanks for the tips!

10. good rule of thumb to follow, BE PARANOID!!! when you think its overkill its not, keep going, when you think its becoming ridiculous your almost there, when Jurassic park calls you and wants their fences back, THEN your good [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by