Will this building work?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bbowen, Jan 5, 2010.

1. bbowen

bbowen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2009
    Moira, NY
    I am expecting 6 Barred Rock chicks this Friday. Brooder is 80% ready and should be done tomorrow.

My mom is willing to donate this building to me if I am able to move it the 15 miles from her house to mine.

Would this work as coop for my 6 gals in my Zone 4 climate?

The building is 8ft by 10ft and at least 6ft tall. Not insulated so I know I'll have to do that. It will probably sit on cinder blocks or something similar. It has a solid plywood floor. My mom took these pics, she's not a photographer but she tries!!

Front of the shed is on the 10ft side but I imagine that wouldnt be hard to change if needed:

[​IMG]

One of the short ends:

[​IMG]

Shot up under the eaves from the outside:

[​IMG]

Back wall opposite doors with eaves. Eaves are open to the outside:

[​IMG]

Short end of the building, inside:

[​IMG]

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I'm sure that would work just fine, but how are you going to move that!

3. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    That would work, do you know what the floor is?

4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    No it wont so just load it up and bring it on over![​IMG] Good luck on the move..brace it well! Skid loader and a roll back tow truck?

5. bbowen

Dec 31, 2009
    Moira, NY
    Quote:I'm pretty sure its plywood.

Yeah, I havent a clue how to move it!!

6. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    If you take some better wider viewed pics I bet some people will give advice..I will ask DH when he gets home about advice! I think skid loader and roll back is what I would use. And Brace it good!

7. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    That Would Work Awsome For You. U Could Have 30 Chickens In There. If A Ramp Truck Can Get To It He Could Probably Winch It On The Truck.

8. bbowen

Dec 31, 2009
    Moira, NY
    Thing is its buried in snow!! I have no idea what a skid loader and roll back are! Probably cost me more to hire someone to move it then to build a new one!

9. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    find a tow company that moves sheds and they usually have the equipment to get the job done. i was going to move mine this year its a 10x12 highside gambrel shed chicken coop. they told me $250.00 to move it 20 miles that was with all the permits.

10. thetajmahalcoop

thetajmahalcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    nunda ny
    nope wont work at all. PM me and tell your mom my hubby will be right over to take it off her hands LOL!!!!! I'm northern NYS too!!! PM me! Seriously tho, the building looks light a great coop! Hooray!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by