Will this cage work for a Cockatiel or a Lovebird?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by PrinceSandwich, Aug 14, 2010.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    My Grandpa got this for me out of someones Garbage bin. Do you think it will work for a Cockatiel or a Lovebird maybe?
    Its 3 ft long and 20" wide and a little over 2ft tall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never had a cockatoo, but it looks like with the proper perches and stuff it would be ok . . . I need another finch cage and they are hard to find!!!

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    It should be quite sufficient for a love bird or Cockatiel.Wouldnt be really good for parakeet's finch, or larger birds such as parrot's.Large bird's like parrots and cockatoo's need to have more room.Macaw's etc. need really large cage's or aviarie's.My blue front amazon has a 5 ft tall cage with a seperate perch on top with inside perch as well.I kept 2 love birds in a much smaller cage as they are a bit more excitable.Add a couple of perches and it should work fine.They do like multi level perches but it would work until you can get a taller cage.

4. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:Its Cockatiel not Cockatoo. Yeah I'm hopping it will make a good bird cage. I'm just worried about the bar spacing ( seems a little big) and I don't like how the door opens the whole side of the cage.

5. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:Ok, thank you. Do you think the bar spacing is ok?

6. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    no! rust is a killer if they chewed on it they could die of posining so please dont do it

7. Baba Yaga's Hut

Baba Yaga's Hut New Egg

Jul 28, 2010
    Hoxie, KS
    Ditto the "no"! The bars, as stated, are rusting - mega dangerous, and the bar spacing is wrong - the bird(s) could very possibly slide their head through and panic when having difficulty pulling back through, which could end in a broken neck (i.e. a dead bird). Cockatiels & Love Birds should have bar spacing that is about 1/4" wide max. Cages for this size bird are not very expensive and can be found in some pretty wild colors & styles. Good luck with your cage finding - birds are great! I've had, raised & bred all sizes & species of parrots for over 20 years and would never be without them!

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    It would be good for baby chicks or hospital cages for chickens! Good find!

9. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Ok thanks guys! I'll put something else in it. [​IMG]

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I know you are not going to use it already, but the spacing is too wide for lovebirds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by