Will this cause my coop roof to leak?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gritsar, Oct 4, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My juvenile coop is my DH's former motorcycle shed. It's water-tight, with a shingled roof. Absolutely no leaks at all.

I want to add a weathervane such as this one to the roof:

[​IMG]

DH said he is concerned that this will cause the roof to start leaking around the fastener holes. I'm thinking that if I pre-drill the holes and then fill them with a sealant - perhaps silicone - before securing the weathervane with screws, that it's very unlikely that it will leak around the screw holes.

What say ye?

My second choice would be a combination cupola/weathervane that Lowes sells, but it would be much harder to install.

2. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I added the same one to my coop and have not noticed any leaks. Considering you'll put it on the ridge which is the top there will only be a little possibility of measurable water leaking through and in the case that some water does get in you can get some roofing tar in a tube and squeeze it all over the screwholes. But I don't think it will leak. [​IMG]

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Get some DAP for sealing pipes. Put it on the hole where you are going to screw it in. It will fill in around the screws as you attache it and won't leak

4. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    I do not recommend silicone. Once you put it on and have an issue you will never get anything to stick there again. It causes more headaches than it's worth. Stick with a urethane or butyl sealant an you will be fine.

5. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I would just use a little old fasioned roofing cement or tar liberally applied on top of the screws, although I do agree that having it up there increases the potential for a leak.

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

You could also attach it to a post and then screw the post to the side of your coop so the weathervane sticks up above your coop...hope that makes sense? LOL

7. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    You can get roofing tar in a caulk gun type of tube. It's much easier to apply this way and will seal better than anything else on a roof.

8. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    hubby drilled a hole slightly smaller than the pole and inserted it about 3" into the main beam then used industrial silicone to keep it from leaking.. it has been up almost 2 yrs and nothing leaking yet. we live on a hill top with 50-60 mile winds and if that won't break it loose then i don't know what will.. ours was garden decoration that husband cut down and mounted.

[​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks [​IMG]

10. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    I like it..would use tar to fill in holes before & after insrting screws. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by