1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will this chick be ok in a brooder by its self?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happyhens44, Feb 19, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I feel really bad, I have one egg in the incubator and its forming good, on day 15. Well will it be ok in a brooder by itself ? , I feel really bad the feedstore doesnt have chicks yet or craigslist, they only have pre orders! [​IMG]

I have chicks with there broody mamas but there 4 weeks old going to be 5 when/ if it hatches, and I dont know if it would be ok [​IMG]

uhhhh what should I do???

2. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    Its gonna be pretty lonely on its own in there. The other chicks you have are a bit too old to mix them in.

Try local papers, free ads or the yellow pages, someone must have chicks ready in the next week. If not, maybe you can find someone who would brood your chick for you.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You could try a post in the "wanted to buy" auctions. Surely anyone somewhere near you who has chicks will part with one or two just to keep yours company. I've seen threads like that here before. Chicken people understand about lone chicks....

A feather duster, a mirror and a small stuffed animal will help some, if it comes to that.

4. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Ill post a wanted ad on craigslist, but ill try the mirrow, stuffed animal and feather duster.

Im hoping for another broody so she could adopt it though [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I have wished more than once I could make one go broody....

6. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] Not a good thing for it to be alone,put a small stuffed toy in with it and a feather duster and a mirror so it will think it has company.This was my only one and what a hard time trying to put it in with other chickens it inprinted on us and and was sacred to death of other chickens,it took weeks to finally get her into the coop with the others

7. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] This was her home

8. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] After trying to put her in with the other silkies many times(she screamed and stayed in a corner) we finally just moved her fish tank out into the coop for a few weeks and then she got used to the others and was fine.What we won`t do for our chickens LOL

9. Badbaby05

Badbaby05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    it's gonna be SUPER attached to u [​IMG]

10. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] IT WILL BECOME REALLY ATTACHED TO YOU!!!! I don`t know if you can see her in this pictures but she followed dh everywhere,all he had to say was come on Jadee and she would follow him anywhere.It was cute but sad to she had no friends when she was a baby she is about 9 months old now and layed her first egg a few weeks ago,she is still really friendly.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by