Will this chick make it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wulimomma, May 9, 2008.

1. wulimomma

wulimomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
  2. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes one is smaller than the others... never know.

Really can't answer your other questions... but bumped you back up.

3. wulimomma

wulimomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
  4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Don't know much about hatching, but time will tee if the little one will make it.
    i would love to have an incubator.

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    You will sometimes get a chick that is smaller than the others. If the rest of the eggs do not hatch it probably means that the temp or humidity is off. It can cause developmental problems for the chicks that do hatch. All you can do is wait and see. Many small chicks grow out just fine.

6. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I have a small chick who is fine. He did have some leg trouble for the first few days which seemed to improve drastically his first week out of the shell. [​IMG] He still is smaller than my other chicks and he is no bigger than my Bantam chick.
    Good luck with your chick.

7. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    If you read my wiggly blue egg thread, you can see how hard it was for the one chick that I hatched out. It was a mess, couldnt walk, eye messed up, then could only go backwards..then even afterwards, once it started walking normal, I was convinced it would die and was blind. It has taken until yesterday for me to start thinking differently. It peeped constantly unless its buddy was leaning on it or touching it. When the other chicks would peck to eat- it just stood there and peeped incessantly. One eye looked deformed. I assumed it was blind. Yesterday it was four days old. I noticed it was not peeping as much, and moving around quite well. Its eye finally doesnt look deformed anymore.
    This morning, it is pecking at the waterer. It is also pecking at some starter on the floor of the brooder. Not much, but now it is acting like a chick. Now I am thinking maybe it will be okay.

Sometimes I think they just need a few extra days to catch up with the rest and do fine. I am so glad that I gave mine a chance, and it has come so far. If it turns out to be a pullet, I will keep her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by