Will this chicken-door work?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Silkie-Feet, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    [​IMG] I was so frustrated with having to wake at 5 in the morning to let the chickens out, I began to think, like genious minds do, of a door that would be predator proof and simple. I know that there are motorized doors on timers, but from what I can see they are very expensive [​IMG] . i thought about making a hole in my METAL wall above the height raccoons and possums can reach. i will put a plank in the hole to alow the chickens to fly to the door "hole". they can fly out in the morning, and fly in at night. predators can't reach the door because they can't climb a metal wall. I hope [​IMG] ?this is what i came up with... will it work? do you think it is a good idea? will you try it? thanks in advance for your replies! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    Anyone? i'm wait to reply back to you...

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    That COULD work, but it depends entirely on what kind of birds you have. If they are very heavy breeds or ornamental breeds that don't "fly" well, you will have a hard time making this work. Also, you would be very surprised how high a predator can jump when there is food on the other side of an obstacle. You did not mention if you had a safe run?

4. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    oops, forgot to put that in there... i have a aproxomently 15 by 30 ft run that has woven wire walls draped in chicken wire on the bottom, and concrete is all the way around the fence of the run. the roof of the run is chicken wire. i let the chickens go into the run 24/7. this door would lead to the outside. when it comes to the chickens that can't fly to well, i'll leave the run open. so they will have that. but if they can fly out, they can fly in at night. how far can a coon reach? thanks for the reply... [​IMG]

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

but if they can fly out, they can fly in at night.

Not true. I have a Roo that can fly down, but he can not fly back up, he needs the walk up. My silkies also can not fly up, tho they can fly down. However, that said, I'd say watch your birds, see which ones would have a problem with it, and then modify as needed. I think its a good idea if you've got birds that have no probs flying up. I would love to be able to do something like that, but my coop a free range coop, and I have to open and close it at night. Make sure everything is secure. ONE DAY! I will build me shed style coop and just may use this idea.​

6. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    what i was getting at when i said when i wrote "if they can fly out they can fly in" is that if they cant fly to the board (like my silkies) then they will be home bound to they coop and run. (I wont have a ramp leading to the door) the others will be able to free range. I think this will also decrease deaths because the weak ones (that can't fly out) can't get out to face predators. that's somthing you can't do with a normal door. all can get out, weak or fit. thanks for the comment.

7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I think it's a BRILLIANT idea!! I love it. I think it would really work. With the metal siding, there's NO WAY that anything could get in...well, a hawk or an owl maybe?? But I love the idea! I'm gonna have to definitely think on this one.

Great thinking!!

8. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    thanks, i haven't thought of the hawks and owls though... i don't think they will be smart enough though to fly through the door. even if a hawk does get in, there will be a big gander in there. [​IMG]

9. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    anyone else? I'm waiting to reply to your questions and comments...

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:You can buy an automatic pop door & timer for hundred bucks. I love mine!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by