will this ever work?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvchicks8, Aug 13, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    i got given (yes given) a yr old blue cochin pair today but I have a white cochin roo they are seperated by a cage but they have been fighting all day puffing up pecking stuff like that. Will this stop in time or will this behavior continue. I have 14 hens with these 2 roos.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Those are not great numbers. Two roos are really too many for that number of hens. You could always try it and see if it's workable, but I think you'll find your hens getting too beaten up from over-mating, and probably fighting with the roos. You never know unless you try, though.

Good luck.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Three different things could happen. I cannot tell you which of the three will happen.

1. They will fight and reach an accommodation. One will become dominant and the other becomes his able assistant in protecting the flock. They actually work pretty well as a team. The fight will probably be pretty vicious.

2. They will fight and one will kill the other if they are so close in spirit that one cannot get a clear advantage and neither is willing to accept the second in command position.

3. If one rooster is extremely dominant, he may kill the weaker one just because he is so weak. It is as if he is saying that he does not want the weak roosters genetics in his flock. The second in command gets his fair share of the girls, especially if there is plenty of room for him to get away from the dominant rooster.

Actually 2 roosters for 14 hens is not that bad a ratio, especially with Cochin. Plenty of breeders have a one hen to one rooster ratio in the breeding pens and do not have a problem with barebacked hens. Some people have one rooster with 18 hens and still have some barbacked hens. There are a lot of factors that go into whether or not your hens are barebacked. The ratio can be one of the factors, but it is a very tiny factor in importance.

The reason I say especially with Cochin is that some breeds, Cochin and Orpington specifically, have such thick feathers that the rooster sometimes has trouble finding the target. Some people trim or pluck the feathers in the appropriate regions to help with fertility with these breeds. I'm not saying the rooster always has these problems, but it happens often enough that vent trimming has become a recognized practice with certain breeders and certain breeds.

4. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Ok I can't handle that stress the rooster went back, my rooster would not calm down. I still have 2 roos but ones an oegb that has his mate seperate so there is no issues there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by