Will this feed work okay for a broiler finisher?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Cowgirl71, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Okay, we got 41 Cornish X males late August from Welp. We've been feeding them "Purina Mills Start and Grow Sunfresh" medicated feed (.0125% Amprolium, 18% protein). My Mom went to the feedstore a couple days ago, and the employee said to get this other feed to finish the broilers (we wanted an unmedicated feed for the last week before butchering). Here's the info on the new feed from the bag:

"Purina Game Bird Startena"
    "Growth and Plumage" "Top Breeding Performance and Top Quality Eggs"
    And the tag:
    "For starting pheasants, quail, chukars, mallards, turkeys, and other exotics. Caution: use only as directed."
    30% Protein
    1.5% Lysine
    .5% Methionine
    2.5% Crude Fat
    6.5% Crude Fiber
    1-1.5% Calcium
    .8% Phosphorous
    .25-.75% Salt

"Feed as sole ration to game birds 0-6 weeks of age."

I'm really concerned that it's TO high of protein... The feed we're currently giving them is 18% protein. This new feed is also meant for baby game birds, not huge soon-to-be-butchered chickens. Will this new feed work? Or should I return it for a refund and get something else? Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    IMHO that's an unnecessary amount of protein , especially after growing them on only 18% , and too high priced also . Since you grew them on only 18% I see no reason not to finish them out the last week on a good scratch mix if its available ; in this area you can often find bagged scratch mixes that are labeled at 18% or more .

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    FYI - It is not necessary to feed medicated feed to broilers. They typically don't live long enough to die from coccidiosous (sp), and that is what the meds are for. I have the best results using a 23% feed from start to finish.

I would return the feed you bought, and try to find something lower in protein and no meds.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I think Purina has a Flock raiser that is 17% protein .

5. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:It's not necessarily "too much" for them to handle.... it's just in't needed. Anything over 20% isn't really used, I've tried 24%, then I backed to 222%, now I sit at 20% and it seems to work just as well as the 24%. Honestly, it's a waste of money. However you could mix the 30% with the 18% to get your 20% if you need to.

6. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the slow broilers from Welp and have been feeding them Purina Flock Raiser 20% percent from day one and will finish with it. They are growing just fine and I have had no problems. They are feeding 24/7.

7. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    To much protein just makes a mess. Lower protein makes for drier droppings and clearner birds.

8. Misty Oak Ranch

Misty Oak Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Bluefield
    I'm currently using the 20% Flock Raiser. and my chicks are growing great on it, and I can tell a big difference in the cleaness of the coop.

9. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    haha, darn i didnt even know they made a 30% feed... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by