Will this feed work okay for a broiler finisher?

Cowgirl71

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Missouri Ozarks
Okay, we got 41 Cornish X males late August from Welp. We've been feeding them "Purina Mills Start and Grow Sunfresh" medicated feed (.0125% Amprolium, 18% protein). My Mom went to the feedstore a couple days ago, and the employee said to get this other feed to finish the broilers (we wanted an unmedicated feed for the last week before butchering). Here's the info on the new feed from the bag:

"Purina Game Bird Startena"
"Growth and Plumage" "Top Breeding Performance and Top Quality Eggs"
And the tag:
"For starting pheasants, quail, chukars, mallards, turkeys, and other exotics. Caution: use only as directed."
30% Protein
1.5% Lysine
.5% Methionine
2.5% Crude Fat
6.5% Crude Fiber
1-1.5% Calcium
.8% Phosphorous
.25-.75% Salt

"Feed as sole ration to game birds 0-6 weeks of age."

I'm really concerned that it's TO high of protein... The feed we're currently giving them is 18% protein. This new feed is also meant for baby game birds, not huge soon-to-be-butchered chickens. Will this new feed work? Or should I return it for a refund and get something else? Thanks!

Last edited:
IMHO that's an unnecessary amount of protein , especially after growing them on only 18% , and too high priced also . Since you grew them on only 18% I see no reason not to finish them out the last week on a good scratch mix if its available ; in this area you can often find bagged scratch mixes that are labeled at 18% or more .

FYI - It is not necessary to feed medicated feed to broilers. They typically don't live long enough to die from coccidiosous (sp), and that is what the meds are for. I have the best results using a 23% feed from start to finish.

I would return the feed you bought, and try to find something lower in protein and no meds.

Quote:
It's not necessarily "too much" for them to handle.... it's just in't needed. Anything over 20% isn't really used, I've tried 24%, then I backed to 222%, now I sit at 20% and it seems to work just as well as the 24%. Honestly, it's a waste of money. However you could mix the 30% with the 18% to get your 20% if you need to.

haha, darn i didnt even know they made a 30% feed...
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom